The HeART of a Woman Project (THOAW) is an initiative founded by Canadian professional photographer Andrea Rees that partners with non-profit organizations that work to benefit women (15 years & older) in communities impacted by poverty.
THOAW partnered with eKhaya eKasi Art & Education Centre, a non-profit organization in Khayelitsha, Cape Town, South Africa in November 2013. THOAW provided donated previously owned iPhones (3gs, 4 & 4s) to eKhaya eKasi and hands-on education to 9 women with no previous experience in photography, social media and digital literacy over 11-days.
The program produced 200 postcards per participant of their best image at the end of the 11-days and provided a source of income generation as the postcards were available immediately for sale in the on-site art boutique. Additionally, it gave participants access to technology and the Internet and skills in photography and social media to be able to tell their own stories and document events happening at eKhaya eKasi through social media .
- Three years of women’s mobile photography and digital literacy in a South African Township
- The Heart of a Woman Project in South Africa Turns Two and a ‘Mandela Monday Hero’
- The Heart of a Woman Project in South Africa is One
- MEDIA Coverage
How YOU Can Help Make a Difference Today:
- Donate – One time donation or monthly sponsorship
- Donate your used iPhone
- Donate Your Aeroplan Miles
- Shop thoawSA: Products with a Social Impact
- Corporate Sponsorship
- Volunteer & Mentor
- Twitter & Instagram – Help spread the word
THOAW is committed to providing on-going support, mentorship and education to help the women on their path to sustainability.
Where to Buy:
- eKhaya eKasi Art & Education Centre in Khayelitsha, South Africa
- The Backpack Community Shop in Cape Town, South Africa (postcards only)
- Online: Shop thoawSA: Products with a Social Impact
Please feel free to explore this site and CONNECT with Andrea.